View from our front door
Our apartment
John and I have decided that starting a blog is the best way to keep everyone informed of our adventures and goings on in Moscow. I am not yet living here just on spring break. John has been here since February 5th and has been busy getting acquainted with Moscow and his new job as a carpenter. We are stationed at the US Embassy here in Moscow. John has begun learning the Russian language, however, our first meal together was spaghetti and garlic bread only because reading labels and taking a guess as to what you are getting is quite challenging so we decided on the pasta we had, took our chances with some ground meat and smelled our way around the bakery to find garlic bread. In the end it was a success!!
I arrived on Sunday afternoon and thought that I had the jet lag thing figured out when I was able to sleep the entire first night without any issues, wow! was I wrong! Your body goes through a "I am not sure if I should be sleeping, awake, eating breakfast or dinner and no longer feels human" type of experience. Of course now that I am leaving in just 12 hours I am feeling well rested and adjusted!!
During my visit John and I have been taking care of logistics to make my move easier and quicker as well as getting out into the city for some culture. Moscow is a huge city with millions of people, the metro system is great however the streets, sidewalks and crosswalks you should fear for you life, it is a total free for all with cars double and triple parked on the sidewalk. John mentioned when we first went out that as long as a car is headed in the same direction as traffic the road was fair game and he wasn't kidding!! We have been out to the markets, eaten bellinis and borscht, taken our picture at Red Square and survived our first restaurant with no English menus or English speaking waiters or waitresses! John has adjusted well and is enjoying his new surroundings, after checking it out I am ready to start the adventure.

No comments:
Post a Comment